Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Never the Twain Shall Meet

I was talking with a friend one day; and although I can't remember who exactly I have a good idea because of the subject matter. We were talking about Christians being uninvolved in the world nowadays. Christians who are content with sitting in service and giving their money so that others can do God's work. You know the kind,. They never volunteer or serve. Honestly I understand that doing things takes money, and in that respect I have less of a problem with these people then my friend. Yet I understand the frustration they feel. These people are willing to fore go the fullness of what God has to offer them because they simply don't want to serve. This friend was also tempted to dump people like me in this category. I honestly don't spend much time with the homeless or the poor. I enjoy the pleasure of serving the children of our church. In this persons mind the true calling of all Christians is to serve those less fortunate. Don't get me wrong, serving the less fortunate is part of the God's ministry, and I'm willing to do it, but my heart lies with the kids. OK this so hasn't gone where I wanted it to go. I wanted to compare the Christians I described earlier with another group of Christians. I've noticed a lot of Christians lately that think it's their duty to make the government help the needy, and I think they are exactly the same as the money givers. Ironically the people I know who fall in that political category would most likely think what they are doing is far more then what the money givers are doing. In their minds their out there making a difference. In reality their making others make a difference for them. What's the difference between a person saying here's money go do great works, and someone saying here's a vote go make people do what's right? If people want change for the better the way isn't with money, or votes, or buildings. They are all useful things, but our power and ability comes from God, not from a checkbook or congress.

No comments: