Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Discipline was the thing!

But I discipline my body and make it my slave, so that, after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified. 1 Corinthians 9:27

"Discipline! Discipline was the thing! Builds character, and all that sort of thing, you know." I used to think Colonel Hathi from The Jungle Book was just a windbag, but now I know he was right. For some reason we have an aversion to discipline, at least I know I do.

We often think of discipline in the dry times of our walks when God feels far. Discipline needs to start far before then though. I realize now that had I disciplined myself to the ways of God during the times of plenty things would be far less difficult right now. It's like when you have a bumper crop. If you do not use discipline and use everything up then in the time of famine you'll starve. When times with God were good I didn't feel the need to be disciplined. I read my bible whenever and prayed whenever and spent absolutely 0 time memorizing scripture. Now in this dry spell I've been in I lack the gumption needed master myself. God doesn't feel as close so that well of desire for God has dried up. So what is going to keep me going now?

No comments: